Purpose and Goals
- Evaluate and compare the antimicrobial efficacies of several wipe formulas against a variety of microbes/viruses in laboratory-controlled testing.
Materials and Methods
- This testing will be a modification of ASTM International’s Standard Test Method E2362.
- Test surface carriers (glass slides 25 x 75 mm) will be inoculated with a liquid microbial/viral suspension, dried, and then covered (not wiped) with a pre-loaded wipe for treatment. After the appropriate contact time, the microbes/viral particles from each carrier will be recovered into a solution which will be dilution-plated to provide quantifiable viable microbial/viral burden data for each carrier tested.
- This testing will include 5% organic soil (serum) in the inoculum solution.
- Each test will include one microbial strain:
- Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus ATCC 33592 (MRSA) bacteria
- Carbapenem-resistant Klebsiella pneumoniae ATCC 4352 or BAA-1705 (KPC) bacteria
- Candida auris CDC B11903 fungus
- Staphylococcus epidermis ATCC 35984 bacteria
- Salmonella enterica ATCC 10708 (formerly known as S. choleraesuis) bacteria
- Salmonella enterica ATCC 14028 (formerly known as S. typhimurium) bacteria
- Shigella flexneri ATCC 12022 bacteria
- Escherichia coli ATCC 25922 (standard strain) or 43888 (a O157:H7 strain) bacteria
- Listeria monocytogenes ATCC 7644 bacteria
- Pseudomonas aeruginosa ATCC 9027 or 15442 bacteria
- Clostridioides difficile ATCC BAA-1870 or 43598 (formerly known as Clostridium difficile) bacterial spores
- Influenza A virus (H1N1) ATCC VR-1469
- Human Coronavirus strain OC43 (HCoV-OC43) ATCC VR-1558
- Feline calicivirus (FCV) strain F-9 ATCC VR-782 (a surrogate for human norovirus)
- Human rhinovirus strain 37 ATCC VR-1607
- Each test will include 144 total data points:
- 4 TBD test surfaces (stainless steel, glass, PVC, etc)
- 3 TBD wipe substrate compositions (polycellulose, polyester, etc)
- 2 TBD wipe loads (untreated, treated)
- 6 replicate wipes will be tested for each testing condition (2 lots x 3 wipes per lot).
- This study’s documentation and performance will be compliant with GLP regulations.
- Data will be calculated to determine the quantifiable bacterial/fungal burden in colony-forming units per surface (CFU/surface) or viral burden in plaque- or foci-forming units per disc (PFU/surface or FFU/surface) remaining on each test surface.
- Data will be analyzed to determine the consistency between replicates.
- Data will be analyzed to compare the efficacies of each test condition to determine the percent reductions and log reductions of microbial burdens compared to controls.
Typical Turn Around Time
- Bacterial/fungal (per strain): 6-8 weeks following receipt of the test materials.
- Viral (per strain): 8-10 weeks following receipt of the test materials.